Sunday, September 1, 2013

These are the best days of our lives! What a true statement. In previous posts I have written about us applying to BYU-Idaho. Well this past Friday night there in my email was a letter that said.

Dear Katherine
Congratulations! We are pleased to offer you admission to Brigham Young University-Idaho. Rich blessings and life-changing opportunities await you here.

I know this is going to sound weird. But when I read it Jason was happy for me but I wasn’t happy…I was shocked and numbed inside. I learned a little about myself that night.

My entire life I have always been average in school. Yes I get a C every now and again. But that isn’t enough to not think I couldn’t get in school. So I started thinking about my past. I recall being grounded for getting a C in a subject. I remember my mom telling me that I was smart and she knows I could do better. But deep inside I remember thinking but I did do my best. Then on to college I was in encouraged to attend a community college. The reasoning it’s more affordable. Translation you couldn’t get into an actual university anyways. Even though I was in the top 30 out of 400 of my graduating class. Then came the final braking point for me. When I was a kid I dreamed of being a teacher but not any kind but a music teacher. As a young adult when asked my degree peoples response was “I hear that is a really hard degree.” translation “to hard for me” Lesson learned I’m hard on myself.

I honestly thought that I would be turned away. When I applied I thought well many people apply so I won’t get accepted. Schools want top notch students.

That entire evening and into the night I felt numb. My poor husband he was happy for me but I couldn’t join in and he didn’t understand. I didn’t understand why I felt what I did. We are taught by the twelve apostles that many times we receive revelation in the quiet and stillness of the early morning hours. The next morning as I was waking up a song was running through my head. One I haven’t heard or sang since I was a teen. The line was “With God nothing is impossible, but you must reach and take his hand.” For a while I laid in bed with this repeating over and over again. Then I got excited.

“I GOT INTO A UNIVERSITY!!!!”

They accepted me. I know that this is Gods will for me and I am excited. Though I know it will be harder than the trials I have ever endured. But with faith and Gods plan I can do it!

F.Y.I.  at this point there still is a ton questions that I can’t answer and leave a nervous knot in the pit of my stomach, but hopefully will be able to in the future.

1. What semester do I start?  Won’t know until October. 

2. How long will it take me accomplish my degree?

3. Where are we going to live?


4. Most worry some in which I have to repeat the line “With God nothing is impossible but you must reach and take his hand.” Is how in the world are we going to save up $3000 for a move to Idaho?

No comments: