Thursday, August 15, 2013

Near Drowning

A little background: Those that know me, know I am not a writer. Although I try it is not my strength. Back in high school I could not pass the writing Essay that was required to graduate. Try as I may for 3 years I could not get a passing grade. It wasn't until my Junior year my English teacher called my mom and my mom explained "I learned along time ago Mandie doesn't learn the traditional way. You have to sing to her or get creative." This teacher then started teaching in a totally new way. In class she dressed up and I even stayed after school so she could help me. That year I passed my essay. My strengths or interest in life are not the traditional science, math or english. I love Music, Art, Photography, Dance...ect but since I feel that what my father in heaven has directed me in is to get a degree in Elementary Education and I have learned I can be creative in the classroom. I will eventually teach kindergarten or first grade. But first I have to go to school. I must write Essays and pass them. So I figure I will start practicing here.

Story NEAR DROWNING

This is something I have wanted to write down since our vacation. It has stuck an image in my head that I cannot remove. Although I wish I could. But I have learned for me to move on what I need to do is write it down.

Vacation was going wonderfully. We arrived at Jason's sister house in Boise Monday evening just in time for dinner. The next few days were all about games, food and more family arriving. Wednesday evening was no exception, we had a yummy dinner which followed the men either reading a book or playing Kub and the women joined the teens for a roudy game of spoons.

Earlier that day it was hot. One couldn't step outside without instant sweat forming on the forhead. So we had water games.  kiddy pool was put to good use along with sprinklers and a trampoline combination. The kids had a fun time. When all was said and done. It was requested that the pool stayed filled for the following day. The theroy was if we left the water in it by the next late afternoon it would be warm and the kids could play again. Sounds good right. I mean who doesn't like a warm pool. It's like bathing in nature.

Back to our game of spoons. I was asked if I would like to play. "Of course" I said. "I love spoons." They made room for me at the table and down I sat. I didn't feel comfortable, I had the thought I don't want the pool to my back so I asked the boy opposite of me if we could switch. Which he kindly agreed to. First game no problem, second game went by without an event. Things were going great. I was getting comfortable The kids were dipping their hands in the pool and splashing but no one was adventurous enough to go for a dip.

Out walks the cutest little boy almost 16 months old. Daddy had just put him in his P.J.'s. Still I wasn't concerned. But kept glancing over just in case my 16 month Cody did go head first in the water. He is very top heavy.

The next round of spoons began. The dealer was very far from me and I really wasn't paying any attention to the game. I happen to be staring at the pool  when the cute little boy whom I will call S. toppled head first into the water. I put my cards down and said "Baby in water" I then ran as fast as I could to the pool. Now to me it seemed like a few steps but my hubby said it was like watching slow motion. A very slow pregnant woman running to the pool. The pool unfortunately was not close.

When I got to the pool I without thinking stepped in the water and pulled him out. I will never forget the look on his face. When he had fallen in he would have been face down. By the time I reached him he was on his back floating. But not an inch of him was above the water.  His beautiful blue eyes looked up at me peaceful and  not alert, not a portion of his body moved. He was so calm.

I pulled him out thinking he was breathing and that he might have a little water in his lungs and started the Heimlich. I remember thinking "is this the best for him." Still at this point no one had moved all was frozen. it seemed that even sound had stopped. I remember thinking at one point "Where are his parents? Why are they not freaking out?" Finally I had the thought he is not responding something is wrong." Next thought I had I know was not my own. "Turn him over and look at him"  In the process of turning over a floppy child I happened to put an extreme amount of pressure on his tummy and he started coughing and water started coming out of his mouth. At that moment time sped up and mom came running.

Later I learned that dad had gone inside to put him in bed. After putting his pajamas and thought he looked so cute. Which he did and sent him outside to model. The reason mom did not respond is because she did not know her son was outside and thought I was holding my little boy. They are only two weeks apart.

I received many thanks and praises and I am grateful I was watching. But I have learned that drowning takes only seconds and even a kid pool across the yard is to long. I will never forget the blond haired blue eyed boy look of peace. I have heard that someone who is actually drowning doesn't look like they are. Now I know and now I will never forget and now I will keep a closer watch on those in and around the pool.

Cody on the left cousin S. on the right only 2 weeks apart.

No comments: