Sunday, July 14, 2013

Promptings

I figure I should write this experience down as it comes or I will forget the details
A couple of weeks ago. Jason was having a hard time. So I worked up the courage to tell him what I had been feeling. For about the past year I have felt that we needed to be somewhere else. I didn't know where just that Sequim was not our near future. I would ask Jason to apply to jobs outside of Sequim. No luck in that. But why was I feeling this pull?

It wasn't until about a month ago that a friend posted about BYU-Idaho’s pathway program that I started looking into school. Not seriously especially since they don’t have my degree in the pathway program. Except now I started having an intense desire to return to school. This unlike any desire I have had in the past. I couldn't get it out of my mind it just felt right.

Being the primary president and helping in Tyler’s Kindergarten class I have learned so much about myself. First I truly love kids. I love being with them and having fun with them. Lifting them up and being someone that the kids could looks to and know they are loved. So I would really like to be a kindergarten or 1st grade teacher. It just feels right, it feels like me. I could and will be happy doing this.

EXPERIENCE: The other day the kids (not just mine) were excited and crazy. You know being kids. I guess the grandparents had been trying to quiet them down, to no avail. I walked out there not knowing what was going on and I lifted my hands and quietly said to the kids. You have 10 more minutes and then it’s time for bed. The kids were quite and listened to me. Darrell approached me on this. And told me that they had been trying to get the kids quiet and asked how I could raise my hands and they instantly got quiet. I replied “It all about love, when you truly love someone you speak kindly to them. No harsh tones are needed.” Kids respond better to love than yelling or demands.  Darrell then said you have a natural ability in this. This was one of the best complements I have been given. I have thought about this since and I would like to add another point, which is I don’t try and control my kids. I teach them I step back and let them have experiences and consequences but most importantly I let them make mistakes. I think because of this the kids are more open when I speak to them. The control thing I have been working more diligently on of late because I had three different parents telling if they could do it all over again they would try to not control their kids. All three of these parents have children who have fallen away from the church and some away from their family.

Anyways, going to school was something I could not accomplish here on the Olympic peninsula. So no way is it going to happen. Then I told Jason my feelings and then I told him if I was to do this no more games. I want to go to a school that I don’t need to transfer from and get my degree. Trying to transfer from a community college I have learned is a pain in the rear.  I told him that I am drawn to BYU-Idaho.

He didn't say a word but listened to me. Later that day he came to me and said “I prayed about Rexburg and I felt the spirit. It is something you should pursue.” He continues “Here is my problem this sets you up for a career but not me. The school I need is Provo.” Here’s the catch he can’t get into Provo’s Master program in marriage and family counseling without professional references. Which we looked into and there is one marriage and family counselor here in Sequim. Not enough for his reference. But even without all the answers we moved onward, I started applying to Idaho.

Then I got scared. What am I doing we can’t move. Where in the world are we going to get that kind of money. Hello we have been unemployed for 2  years.  Also I don’t want to work while my kids are young. So I finally got on my knees and prayed. Is this right? Yes, it is right. After that prayer the fear is gone and has not returned. How we are to come up with the money. Still no idea, but I trust in my Heavenly Father.

So All I have now to do is my interview with my stake president and then my application is in.

Here is the amazing part. Well it is to me. Jason started talking about how maybe he should just get the marriage and family bachelors degree at BYU-Idaho and when we are done he could get reference from the professors and then apply to the Provo masters program. Unfortunately we learned that Jason can’t go to BYU-Idaho because he already has his bachelor’s degree. Because of limited space they said. But yet it felt right that he do just that and it of course was nagging at me. So I started researching. Would poverty for 13 years count as a good reason to let him get another bachelors degree? This is what I learned. I had to call the school but I got it figured out.  Jason can get another Bachelors through the pathway program and it would be a fraction of the price of going on campus. Next we learned that he cannot get the pathway program were we currently live. We do not have an institute close enough for him to attend every Thursday. One of the rules. By being in Rexburg that will give him the institute he needs to get the degree.


I’m not 100% sure that we will move to Rexburg or that I will be accepted. But I do know this God has prompted us and given us direction. This I am thankful for.  

No comments: